Blog entry,  C section

I went in with an abscess and came out with a baby : My birth story

*Warning this is a long post with maybe TMI about my abscess and birth *

Being pregnant can be hard work , near the end your body starts to ache you find it hard to sleep. Your emotions are all over the place and all you want to happen is to be joined by your little baby. At 38 weeks my consultant wanted to start to get things moving so suggested that I started to have sweeps early. In the hope that I wouldn’t go over and that I could have the natural birth that I so deeply wanted.

Sadly my body had other plans for me, painful plans at that. So at 39 weeks I went to see my consultant for a sweep which like the previous one were unsuccessful. I was getting really down about this, I just knew that a natural birth wasn’t going to happen for me. I was starting to get my head around the fact I could potentially be having another section.

A few days after my sweep I started to feel uncomfortable but it wasn’t pain like I had in my previous pregnancy. * Just a little warning this may start to get a little too much information for some* I started to get pains in my bottom. Straight away I thought great I have got piles just what I need . So off I went to the chemist and got some creams. Gosh it’s so glam pregnancy is isn’t it ! this is just the beginning it gets a lot worse.

The cream did nothing if anything it made thing a lot more sore and painful. So I booked an appointment to see my GP to see if there was anything he could do to help me. Off I popped to the GP told him about the pains and that I had been using some cream which hadn’t helped and that the pain was getting worse. Without even taking a look at my bottom he prescribed me some suppositories and sent me on my way. From then on the pain just got so unbearable. I knew that something wasn’t right. Surely piles cannot be this painful. I mean I was rolling around my bed in pain, it was making me cry and the only place it was bearable was when I was in the bath. I was literally living in the bath my skin now is so sore because of it. At this point I hadn’t been able to go to the toilet for days and it was really painful to pass urine so I wasn’t really doing this either.

hospital abscess and bith

After two days in excruciating pain I said to my mom I need to go to hospital about this something isn’t right. So we went to the walk in centre at our local hospital. The lady checked me over and said yes you have piles but you also have an abscess in your bottom. Thank the lord someone actually checked meand has given me an answer to the pain. She prescribed me some antibiotics and said if it pain hadn’t eased within 24 hours then I was to go back.

24 hours had passed and the pain was getting worse not better. It was like someone was rubbing salt in an open wound constantly along with shooting pains. Baby was quieter than usual and I was starting to worry that. If all the stress and pain I was in was stressing him out. So I went back to the hospital. I saw a different doctor this time who really just didn’t want to deal with me .And just got me on the phone to the maternity unit .The maternity unit said to use the cream take the antibiotics and try to relax. They too didn’t ask me to go in to check !! I told them at this point that I thought babies movements had reduced. Every time I was in pain he didn’t move as much as he normally does. They didn’t really seem too worried about this .As he was moving when I wasn’t in pain . They told me to speak to my consultant in a few days time and he may think about induction if necessary. Hearing this news that I was going to have to be in this pain for a few more days just made me break down. All I kept thinking is why wont anybody help me? why do they think its okay to leave me in this much pain !

Back home I went again, back in the bath to try to sooth the pain. At this point I hadn’t slept for days due to the pain. My body was exhausted I hadn’t eaten anything as I just felt awful. I also hadn’t been to the toilet at all. I felt like I needed to but my body just wouldn’t let me. Only a few hours later I called my mom in tears I just couldn’t do this anymore. Within minutes my parents were at my house to take me back to hospital . I remember my mom saying this time you are not coming home until someone does something. My mom isn’t women to be messed with so I knew that it was going to be sorted. This is one of the reasons I wanted my mom to come with me. As I had no energy at all I needed someone to fight for me and little man. Someone who wouldn’t take no for an answer.

This time we went to accident and emergency which on a Sunday isn’t a place anyone wants to be. It didn’t actually take us too long to be seen and the doctor straight away said he hadn’t seen an abscess like this beforeand that I needed to have it lanced ( all the fluid needed to be drained). I was told that I would be transferred to a ward in due course and I was to be nil by mouth ready for the operation. The accident and emergency staff did have an issue with finding me a ward to go on as I was 39 weeks pregnant no one really wanted me so this slowed things down a little.

At this point I still hadn’t been put on a monitor to check that baby was ok even though every health professional I saw I had told them I thought his movements had reduced.

I was then transferred onto a ward and put onto a drip. The pain was still excruciating so they gave me come codeine and liquid Oramorph . This too wasn’t doing anything for the pain and It was getting so bad. I was lying in a hospital bed crying my eyes out, I was tired , hungry in pain and wasn’t even aloud a drink of water. I hadn’t eaten or drank anything for over 12 hours. Anyone who has known anyone that’s pregnant will know stopping them from having food and drink is just not ideal.

Finally someone put me on a monitor to check baby, I was on this monitor for hours as they weren’t happy with the trace that was coming back. His heart was fine there was just no variation. They gave me a cup of iced water which I cried about as I soooo needed a drink in the hope that it would make him more responsive and give them the trace they wanted. The pain was still pretty bad at this point and I remember telling my mom I’m sure I’m having tighten pains gosh this is all I need. please let me sort one thing out before we go onto the next!

I finally persuaded my parents to go home as they were both completely shattered they too hadn’t eaten, drank or slept in days . Due to bringing me backwards and forwards to the hospital. I was then transferred onto another ward and put on another monitor for a few more hours. This trace too wasn’t good and they told me I had best get Jordan up the hospital .As it looked like I was going to have to have an emergency c section. At this point I was starting to have some real good contractions now. The pain of my abscess was more manageable but if I moved in a certain way it would shoot pain right up my body. I asked the nurse about why baby was not showing a good trace .Was it because of the pain. To which she couldn’t confirm it could be because of the pain but it may also be the pain relief I was on. This just made me feel awful and no longer was I wanting a natural birth I just wanted him out safe and healthy.

Jordan and my dad did a swap so my dad could look after Ava and so that Jordan could be with me. He arrived at the hospital and in no time I was moved to the delivery ward ready to go for my section. This part was terrifying if I’m honest the doctors seemed all confused to what was going on. One was saying I was going for my section straight away and another one was saying they were waiting. One doctor said they would also lance my abscess at the same time and another said this wasn’t possible. I was really starting to work myself up I was trying to stay calm on the outside but inside my heart was racing and I was shitting myself. I think because I had a section previously I knew also what was going to happen to me and sometimes this can make things worse.

Eventually I was taken down to theatre, where I was given a spinal block and was hooked up to every machine going. They were putting drugs through my cannula and I was still shitting it. Jordan was nowhere to be seen and they were starting the procedure. In a panic I asked where he was and I then heard numerous nurses asking are we bringing dad in ? Thankfully Jordan then came in the room and I started to calm a little. I mean I was still so nervous about it all but I could deal with it now I knew he was with me. It didn’t take too long and I heard my baby boy cry. I instantly filled up with tears as I was so worried I wasn’t going to hear that cry that something was going to go wrong. Again though I didn’t get to see my boy straight away and they gave him to Jordan . This did really upset me again but tired an exhausted I didn’t say anything. They took him away to be weighed and Jordan cut the cord I could just about see this but I couldn’t be involved in the experience.

The last week of my pregnancy didnt go as expected at all thanks to an Abscess #birth #pregnancy #birthplans #emergencycsection

The lovely anaesthetist man persuaded the team that it was best to lance my abscess there and then. Instead of getting me to come to theatre again. At this point Jordan had gone into recovery with our little man and I was having the second operation of the day. After nearly 2 hours in theatre I had a baby and had my abscess in my bottom lanced. I was then reunited with Jordan and got the first snuggle with our little man and gave him his first feed.

The whole experience was terrifying and painful and not something I want to repeat. The one good thing that came from it all was our little man Alby William ,Born 04/12/2107 at 8.27 am weighing 8lb150z.


The last week of my pregnancy didnt go as expected at all thanks to an Abscess #birth #pregnancy #birthplans #emergencycsection

Follow me on :


  • Amanda

    Oh it sounds so horrid and terrifying – you poor thing!! If really, really makes me cross how pregnant women are treated at times… it’s unbelievable that you were left in so much pain for so long, that your concerns weren’t appropriately responded to, and that there was so much confusion! I do so hope that you are feeling a bit better now? xx

    • admin

      It was a scary time especially when your told constantly to monitor movements . I’m a lot better now thank you and nearly pain free which I’m so grateful about . X

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.